join the adventures of randy dandy as he battles hordes of mosquitoes and never-ending paper deadlines

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Work and Play... It's All Gone South


Well, three days in La Paz, Baja California Sur, and things have gone relatively smoothly so far. All my nerves about not having enough language to do my work were not entirely justified. I’ve been lucky as the couple people I have held focus groups with have spoken English pretty well, thus relieving my need for translation. As for my Spanish skills, they are terrible. I seriously need to take a course if I ever hope to do more than order food. But I am pretty good at that.


The true test of my Spanish skills (or lack thereof) has been when hanging out with a gang of locals who my co-worker befriended a week earlier. They are a fun crew of the sort you’d expect to find on the street in Nelson, but with a bit more talent and motivation. Most of them are street performers of mixed variety, doing fire dancing, unicycle riding and juggling. I met them at the skate park, while they were riding. After spending a night partying it up with them, I realized how little I can actually say in Spanish. And it didn’t improve with a few cervasas. Anyways, still I must practice.


I just don’t have much time to spend learning the rules from books. My work has occupied most of my time since arriving, and it will continue to throughout the whole time. In fact, I might not even be able to take off the week we had originally planned due to a scheduling oversight. It looks like I will have to become a weekend warrior, even down here in Mexico. Somewhere in there I have to find time to work on my stuff from home and throw out some job applications. Good times!



At least the town of La Paz is a nice place to do this, if only for the moment. We will be here until Tuesday, at which time we will be heading over to the west coast town of San Carlos. So far, La Paz has been great, although we are centred on the tourist area. There is a big walkway (think Sea Wall in Stanley Park) that is a beautiful place for a sunset stroll, frozen chocolate banana popsicle in hand. That is when the town really comes alive, as people are off work and the day is just too warm.



As you can imagine, things are going well so far. Having the lap top makes life easier. Instead of sitting in crazy internet gaming rooms, I get to sit at the wireless café on the waterfront. Much better!
Posted by Picasa

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger jen c said...

he blogs! i totally forgot you were going to mexico...my head has obviously been buried under 8 feet of snow.... it's great to see some pics. i miss you guys a bunch.
jen

11:39 a.m.

 
Blogger planspeak said...

buenos dias gringo! sounds like a tough research assignment. the gears on my bike froze as I pedaled to work this morning. Alberta had a $6 billion surplus this year, but they can't clear the pathways of snow and ice. I dream of Mexico. keep the blogs coming. hang ten bra.

7:50 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home