join the adventures of randy dandy as he battles hordes of mosquitoes and never-ending paper deadlines

Monday, March 12, 2007

Finally, a Day Off

I know, I know. I sound so hard-done by when I am complaining about not having enough time off while sitting in the sunshine of the Baja. But after a hectic week prepping and meeting and editing and revising, I really needed a day to put the computer under the bed and kick back on a beach, guilt-free.

Sunday I broke off the work shackles, hopped on some local transit and headed to Playa Balandra, up the coast from La Paz. This is pretty much the end of the road, as far as this road was concerned. The Playa Balandra was amazing - the quintessential arid beach, with dunes and undercut rock bluffs, and the turquoise water I was expecting based on the postcards. Fortunately, the postcards didn't lie. No bumped up blue-green filters needed on your cameras here.

The one kink to the plans was that I actually didn't intend to go to this beach, but the next one along... Playa Tecolote, the true end of the road. But I got off the bus before I realized I had jumped the gun. No worries, except for the fact I was counting on the few beach restaurants that I knew were at my original destination of Tecolote. Fortunately, I had left on a full stomach (I love you, Huevos Rancheros!) and had a few oranges packed to tie me over.

After messsing around on the beach, swimming in the ocean and bouldering on some cool overhanging bluffs, I decided to track down some food. To my fortune, I met up with a few folk from San Francisco, one who was living and working in La Paz! Basically, I just latched on to them, and was able to resolve the issues as to where I was going to eat and how I was going to get back home. I quickly realized they were a good crew to hook up with... we spent the rest of the day drinking cervezas and eating ceviche (that's raw, lemon-marinated fish/seafood for the uninitiated... very yummy).

The day turned into an odd adventure of beers around La Paz, a transvestite show at the current gay-bar in La Paz and some late night Tacos. One of the tastiest tacos ever, but my perspective might have been a bit skewed.

I think this day off should hold me for about a week. I'm not as young as I used to be. I think it will take me a week to recover.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home